Make Your Automation Behave: Extending Your Framework for BDD
June 26 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am MDTFREE
When done properly, Behavior-Driven Development (BDD) can drastically improve the communication and understanding of requirements. An additional benefit is being able to utilize the domain-specific language of the requirements to drive test automation. However, like any other automation initiative, when done poorly, this too can fail.
In this session, Angie Jones will provide a hands-on technical look into how to:
- utilize Gherkin-written scenarios for test automation
- write scenarios in a way that promote maintainability and reusability
- take advantage of advanced Gherkin functionality such as data tables and objects
- tie the scenarios to automation code
- incorporate this approach into existing automation frameworks that use the page object model design pattern
- share state across multiple steps within a scenario
Upon completion of this session, you’ll have a better understanding of how to:
- Enhance your BDD initiative with test automation
- Cleanly extend an automation framework to support executable requirement specifications
- Support advanced techniques such as data tables and objects within specifications, as well as sharing state through dependency injection.
Angie Jones is a Consulting Automation Engineer at LexisNexis who advises several scrum teams on automation strategies and has developed automation frameworks for countless software products. As a Master Inventor, she is known for her innovative and out-of-the-box thinking style which has resulted in more than 20 patented inventions in the US and China. Angie is also an adjunct college professor who teaches Java programming and is a strong advocate for diversity in Technology. She volunteers with organizations who champion this cause such as TechGirlz and Black Girls Code.